Monday, January 4, 2010

The Birth Story



Here is the story of how Miss Presley Elizabeth made her way into this world.

The Plan:
On Monday, December 28th, I was supposed to go to the hospital at 9 pm and be induced at 6:00 am on the 29th. The doctor said I would probably have a longer labor since this was my first baby combined with induction.

What actually happened:

Before we checked into the hospital, Brandon and I went out to eat with my family. I thought I might have been having some contractions then, but decided it was probably nerves. After dinner, we said goodbye to my family and arrived at Rockwall Presby at 9 pm on the dot.
Our sweet nurse walked us into our room and had me put on a fabulous booty bearing gown. She then proceeded to ask me 20 million questions and insert my I.V. I thought that was going to be the worse pain of the night, but little did I know...
I had to have something called cytotec inserted (I'll let you guess where) to soften the cervix over night. After that, I swallowed my ambien and immediately fell asleep. Shortly after, I woke up because I was having what I though were MAJOR cramps from the cytotec. I knew the nurse was going to come and check on me at 2 am, so I tried to hold off on my request for pain medicine. I mean it's not like I was in labor?? I could totally handle these cramps. By the time she got to my room, I was pretty miserable and feeling like a total wimp. I requested pain medicine immediately and it was given ASAP. What I got was a mixture of stadol and phenegren in my I.V. and it knocked me on my a$$. I couldn't even put together a sentence. Which at the time was pretty important because my water broke about 10 seconds after, and I could barely get the words out to inform the nurse. As drugged up as I was, I will never forget the feeling of my water breaking. I heard this pop and then felt a tiny gush of warm liquid. Of course, my first thought was I peed on myself, but then I felt another gush. This time it was like Niagara falls, and I KNEW this could not be pee. Yay! This was great news. I was in labor, I didn't have to be induced, and Presley was well on here way.
When my water broke it was 2:30am and I had dilated to a 3, so they called in my epidural. I wish I could fill you fine folks in on what it felt like, but I can't because I was still completely messed up from the stadol/phenegren. I fell asleep while he was inserting the needle. In fact, the anesthesiologist told Brandon that sleeping through getting an epidural was not exactly a bad thing. Around 5am (two and half hours later) I woke up and told Brandon that I thought my epidural might be wearing off. He called the nurse in and turns out I was already dilated to a seven. She said we should probably go ahead and call our families, but to tell them to take their time getting here. Well, little did she know...
30 minutes later I started feeling lots of pressure and found out I had dilated to a 10! Brandon jumped on his phone and called all the necessary parties informing them they better get here FAST! The nurse jumped on her phone and called the doctor and told her she needed to get here ASAP. And what was I doing during all this excitement? You guessed it... sleeping.
My family arrived before the doctor and got to come in and visit. Of course, I could barely talk, but I tried really hard. Not long after, the doctor came in and it was time to get down to business. I had waited a long time to meet this baby girl and I was going to get her out as fast as I could. I was still completely dopey, so I would push as hard as I could and then fall asleep between contractions. I pushed for a total of 20 minutes and then our beautiful baby girl was born at 6:33am. She weighed 7lbs 12 ounces and was 20.5 inches long.
I can't even begin to describe to you what that moment felt like. There is no better feeling in the whole wide world. I can't even stand to write about it because I get all mushy and emotional (my hormones are still a little wacky). So Santa didn't give me an early present after all. Instead, we got our sweet gift from God.

And now for a whole lot of pictures:

Leaving our house for the last time as a family of two


Saying goodbye to the belly

She's here

Everyone finally getting to meet Presley







and for the best part, bringing home our sweet baby girl.


5 comments:

Cassie said...

Loved reading "the story". We actually have fairly similar stories...I'm planning on posting mine tonight...if I get a second to sit down. I need to write it out so I remember it all:)

Lucky you sleeping through most of it! How nice:)

Anonymous said...

Sleeping through pushes! Now I am jelous, that sounds like a "dream" labor and delivery. Congrats again and you look completely fabulous by the way.

Henny

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again Ashlie! Being a mommy is the best gift in the world, huh?! BTW, don't you just love that carseat? That's the one I got for Aithn and Olivia!!

The Fants said...

We had almost the exact same story! I was reading along and kept saying "hey, me too!!" :)
Presley is so beautiful!!

aleelavine said...

Wow. What a birth story. Congratulations!!! So you felt no pain? Wow!!!