Friday, January 8, 2010

You Know Your a New Mother When...

Welcome to a glimpse of my life as a new mother:

I am trying very hard to master the artful skill of doing things one handed. Today, I think I have finally gotten the skill of going potty one handed!

I have forgotten from time to time to actually latch my nursing bra back together after nursing. This is generally brought to my attention by cold milk dripping all over me.

Speaking of dripping milk. I also tend to leak it all over Presley (in the general area of her face).

Showers have now become a race. I try and see how much I can get done before the little one starts crying. And yes, I have walked a around a day or two with one leg shaved and the other not.

I have also walked around with eyeliner on one eye and not the other. Perhaps it's the lack of sleep that had me pondering in the mirror as to why I looked funny. In a more rested state, you would think I could figure it out.

I may or may not walk around in PJ's all day and then get dressed 10 minutes before Brandon is supposed to be home.

Snaps haunt my dreams. I just can't seem to snap her tiny outfits fast enough for the little lady

I hold my breathe when I lay her down at night for fear I will wake her. Even though I can vacumm all around this child without her blinking an eye.

Then there's the constant worrying. Every time I walk past her, I have to check to make sure she's breathing. Is her diaper too tight? Is she too hot? Too cold? Is her swaddle covering too much of her face? Am I holding her too much? Not enough? Is she getting enough milk? Etc., etc., etc.

Then today, I did one of the things I have been so careful not to do. I pushed on her soft spot while changing her onesie. She didn't cry, but I immediately freaked out! I have been watching her like a hawk all day, trying to determine if she has a possible brain bleed. So far so good.

So ladies and gents, There you have it. This is my new normal, and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

1 comments:

aleelavine said...

All of this is so true!!!! You sound like a wonderful Mother already.