Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Rough Road Ahead

Well, If you remember my last post about Brandon and his diagnosis of Bells Palsy, I was pretty relieved. I am still very thankful for sure, but I wasn't even thinking about how it would affect Brandon. It's rough. He is essentially learning how to go about everyday life with a disability. So far, he is having to learn how to eat, drink, and say certain things with the left side of his face paralyzed. It's a been a little heartbreaking watching him struggle. There were a few times where I wasn't able to understand what he was trying to tell me. The "F" sound is very hard for him to say, but considering the way his Texas teams are playing, that isn't necessarily a bad thing (with the exception of the Rangers!).

His eye won't close all the way when he blinks, so it isn't getting enough moisture. Therefore his eye is constantly watering to protect his cornea. The human body is a great thing! Except the watering eye, makes his nose run all day. He has an eye patch that he wears some of the time, but either way, it's uncomfortable for him. Brandon also continues to have horrible headaches. We aren't sure yet what the cause is (high blood pressure or the nerve behind his ear), but they are making him physically sick. It's so hard to see him this way.


 The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

----Martin Luther King, Jr. Strength to love, 1963


Brandon has managed to keep his sense of humor in all of this. He's even trying to figure out how he can  work his new look into a Halloween costume.I'm just so impressed with his patience and courage in dealing with all of this. I pray that he heals soon. Some Bells Palsy patients never completely recover (20-40%) and it may take 3+ months to go away, so we are just trying to think positive and take it day by day.

Thank you so much to everyone who left sweet comments and for all the texts and phone calls/ messages from family and friends. All have been passed along to Brandon. He appreciates it so much! We will make sure to keep everyone updated.






8 comments:

aleelavine said...

Brandon sounds like a wonderful guy that is taking his diagnosis really well. Props to you both...not just him, but you also!!! I have been a waterfall since I got home {rough day at work} and this post just made them start up again. :) Life doesn't always run smoothly but it's amazing to watch people like you and Brandon handle it so beautifully.

B said...

I second what she says! Ashlie, you are strong and patient and courageous also! I will keep you ALL in my thoughts and prayers.

If it's any consolation, I babysat for a woman a few years back whose neighbor had a diagnosis of Bells Palsy, and she recovered completely.

Try to stay positive, but know that it's OK to feel upset and discouraged. I can only imagine how hard this must be for you guys!

The Perkins said...

I am so sorry about this Ashlie. My dad had it several years ago and it last around 2 months, but happy to say he is completely fine now. We will definitely be praying for a full recovery. We love and miss you guys.

Bonnie said...

Oh my goodness! I just had to catch up on your blog. I will definitely keep Brandon in my prayers & pray for a fast recovery. I'm glad it is something that he can recover from. Hope you all stay strong & I know he will be just fine!

The Fants said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how frustrating that is for Brandon to not be able to do the "little" things the same as he used to. I'm so glad you are all in good spirits about it. He's lucky to have such a supportive wife, too. Praying for all three of you as your sweet family adjusts until he's fully recovered!!

Emily said...

What a great attitude to have. Brandon sounds like a wonderful guy - you can tell him I said that! :o)

We'll be praying for both of you as he works through recovery.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Heather said...

I am so sorry you all are going through this! Everyone sounds so positive. What a great testimate of Faith! We will continue to think of you all!

Rene' said...

Somehow I missed this post last week. I agree that you both are being very courageous and appear to be handling it the best way possible. Like you said, all you can do is be patient and positive and take it day by day. You make a good team and you're lucky to have a lot of support.

Let me know if you need anything and please keep us updated on his progress!