Friday, September 4, 2009

Babymoon in the Big Apple: Day 3

Day 3 in New York was so Much fun because we were able to meet up with some of our friends, Adam and Jumarie. We used to be neighbors in Los Angeles, but they are now living right outside the big apple. We met up in Times Square and decided to go to China Town. It was so nice being able to rely on someone that knew the city, and we welcomed a day of not having to figure out the subway!

China Town was crazy! People would come up to you everywhere trying to get you to buy purses, perfume, jewelry, food, etc. Jumarie and I decided we wanted to check out the purses, and this turned into quite an adventure. First this little Chinese lady made us follow her for two blocks. Then we had to crawl into her van, where she had every knock off purse under the sun, and locked Jumarie and I in. When we had made our purchase, she had to walkie talkie to her husband to see if it was okay to let us back out. Brandon and Adam thought we were crazy! We also got some great deals on perfume before heading to Little Italy.

Little Italy was filled with tons of the best smelling restaurants. I decided I had to have a canoli, so we all stopped in at a local bakery. Everything looked amazing, which meant there was no way I could pick just one. I narrowed it down to three different types of canoli's (they were tiny) and ate them right in the middle of the street!
After Little Italy, we decided to go to the 9/11 memorial site. The subway just happened to drop us off right at the entrance of the Brooklyn Bridge. I was so tempted to walk across for some Grimaldi's pizza, but decided to save it for another day.
We also saw Wyclef around the corner, promoting for some music event.
While we were looking for the 9/11 sight, I stumbled across the most beautiful church and had to go inside. I am so glad I did because it happened to be St. Paul's Cathedral. This church was built in 1766 and George Washington worshipped there during his inaguration. This tiny church sits almost directly in front of where the towers used to be, and served as a place of refuge for all the recovery workers after the attack. They would post flyers of people that were still missing in the church, in hopes that some of the volunteers might have seen them. The boots and equipment that the firemen used scuffed up the pews pretty badly. However, the church decided not to repair the pews, so we would always remember. After looking around at the inside, we walked out to the cemetary. We found gravestones from the 1700's, but most were so old you could no longer read them. Right behind the cemetary is the 9/11 site. They are rebuilding so there isn't too much to see. However, there is a huge hole in the middle of New York city, and it's pretty eerie. I just kept imagining what it must have been like that day. We decided that it was probably time to head back towards Times Square, but not before seeing what Century 21 was all about. I kept seeing people with bags from this place everywhere I went. It turned out to be a huge discount department store with amazing deals. However, it was completely packed, and I just couldn't take the crowds. Of course, I was starving again, so we headed to a little brewery in Times Square for dinner. New York has some of the most amazing food. Thank goodness we walked a million miles a day or I might have come back looking like I was having twins!After dinner, we got them to take one last picture of us in Times Square at night and then said goodbye. Brandon and I were still not ready to call it a night, so we walked over to Rockafeller Center. Of course, the famous ice skating rink wasn't there, but it was still cool to see.My feet and back were letting me know it was time to quit, so we walked back to the hotel. Well, actually, I made Brandon stop in and pick up the largest M&M cookie I have ever seen from a little deli across the street...for us to share, of course. Then we made it to our hotel.

0 comments: