Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I wanna Wean-er.

My husband, who I love dearly, can be a bit....how do I put this nicely??? Immature at certain times. Here is one of them:

While enjoying a dinner out, I told Brandon, "I think I want to wean her (referring to Presley, of course)." He, literally almost spit his food out across the table. Then replied with," hahaha, you want a wiener. Is there something you need to tell me?" After, letting him know I was NOT amused ( I take this subject very seriously). I began to explain my reasoning for why I think it might be time to stop breastfeeding Presley. All the while, watching him attempt to hold in his laughter each time I repeated the phrase. And so the ongoing joke in our household was born. "I wanna wean-er".

Since were on the subject..and I'm sure your wondering. Yes, I am in the process of weaning Presley. So far, I have dropped my second morning feeding and afternoon feeding. The good thing is I'm in no hurry, so we are taking this process very slow. I drop one feeding a week. Next week, I will drop her evening feeding. This will leave only her bedtime and first morning feeding.
For me, these will be the hardest to drop. The morning feeding will be hard only because I'm lazy. Presley cries out around 7- 7:30a.m. I pick her up, bring her in bed with me, and catch a few extra Z's while I feed her. The thought of having to get up and make a bottle, frankly, sucks! Then there's the feeding before bedtime. I love this sweet time with her, and it will certainly be missed. She is usually sleepy, calm, and extra cuddly. Oh, and smelling amazing after her bath.
Presley, thank goodness, doesn't even seem to notice that anything is different. She takes her bottles like I've been giving them to her since day one. I, on the other hand, am struggling with it a little more than I thought. It just kind of makes me sad, you know. The first day was the hardest, but each day has gotten easier.
Honestly, I have no specific reason for choosing to wean her now. I just feel ready.
To all you Mommas still going strong, keep on keeping on! It takes a ton of dedication and you should feel so proud.And...just in case you were wondering, I haven't gained any weight yet. I don't feel ravenously hungry during the day anymore, so I guess my appetite is adjusting. I sure am going to miss being able to eat pretty much anything I want though:(

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, 8 months is an amazing accomplishment! You have to do what is best for you and baby :)

Henny

Rene' said...

I agree that 8 months is a great accomplishment! I am so ready to be done pumping, but I love breastfeeding. Really the only reason I haven't stopped pumping (I would still nurse morning and night though) is because I save money by not buying formula. And I'm with ya- who wants to get up and make a bottle? I do the same thing- try to get some extra sleep by nursing Jack after he wakes up. :) You can always keep one or two feedings, unless you want to quit altogether. I am happy P is making the transition easy for you! Good luck!

The Perkins said...

I hated the weaning process and I am not looking forward to it this time also. I never gained weight after I quit (well at least for 1.5 months until I got pregnant again). I know its sad and definitely easier than a bottle, but 8 months is awesome and you should feel great about it.

B said...

Haha - D would totally have made the same joke. Men.

Anyhow, 8 months is a major accomplishment! Congrats mama! And I was totally concerned about weight gain, so that's good to know :)

Emily said...

Isn't it ridiculous how men can get completely sidetracked by a dumb joke and lose track of the point of the conversation? This is exactly why I need a daughter someday - I don't think I can take a lifetime of being the only person in the family who doesn't think "wean-er" is roll around funny. HA! :o)

I think that making it to 8 months is amazing! I really want to start weaning Asher as well. If he didn't need special {read: really expensive} formula for his milk allergy I would probably be starting now as well. I'm ready to have my body back to myself!

I'm glad it's going well so far!

aleelavine said...

wean-er. LOL sorry, that is kinda funny...
I'm totally jealous that P is taking to the bottle so well.... you are giving her formula for the dropped breastfeedings??? What type of formula do you use???

The Fants said...

Haha! That's funny about Brandon. I'm sure that didn't draw any attention to your table at all! :)

You should feel so accomplished for being able to nurse Presley for so long! I'm glad she's taking the bottle so easily and everything is going so smoothly. Bryson has been on formula during the day and I nurse at bedtime and it's going really well. I so enjoy that sweet time with him.

I'm sure you're already feeling the pain, but oh man, it takes a while for your boobs to adjust! haha! Don't worry, it gets better :)