Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Little Bunny that was...

Warning: this blog post is a tad gruesome.
Apparently, we have had bunnies take residence in our backyard. This actually flattered me that they would choose our yard out of all the other yards. Perhaps the momma bunny could feel my motherly vibes and felt safe leaving her babies close to me. However, I'm pretty sure she chose our yard because we don't have a dog, and well, we pretty much don't have anything in our yard at all. I'm not sure how long they had been there because I haven't even stepped foot out there due to the extreme heat. So how did we make this adorable baby bunny discovery? Well, that's the not so adorable part.

Lets just say that it involved a lawnmower. I'll spare you the details...

Poor Brandon came running inside looking horrified, as he explained to me that he accidentally ran over one. I offered absolutely no support to my husband as I completely freaked out. However, there were two more bunnies (unharmed) that took off terrified in opposite directions. Can you blame them after seeing the sad fate of their little bunny sibling? One tucked itself behind a support pole in our fence and the other in a small hole in the corner of our patio. I felt so incredibly horrible. I just wanted to make them feel better. To my dismay they stayed put for hours, and then when I checked that evening they had high tailed it out of our yard. Poor bunnies.

(After lots of Internet research, the whole lawn mower thing seems to be a pretty common occurrence.)

I did, however, get to snap a few pictures before they had hidden themselves completely.

3 comments:

Brittani said...

OMG, that is not funny but I can't stop laughing!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for following me! You are absoultely adorable! I love your blog! I look forward to reading many more posts! Thanks again!

aleelavine said...

That is so sad... poor little bunny foo-foo. :( But what can you do?? He probably had no idea. I know Patrick does the same to all the frogs that are in our yard.