Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Presley Picasso

Last Thursday, Presley completed her very last art class of the summer. While it's a bit of a relief for me, I'm so glad we did it. "Scribbles and Dribbles" was a class for toddlers,but they weren't the only ones learning.

Not only did I get a refresher in art history, I also learned to relax. More times than not we would start a project, and I would immediately tense up. However, each class we went to I got a little bit better. With Presley, I figured out that there is no way either one of us (and some unfortunate classmates) were getting out of class clean. Her teacher would always get a good laugh out of Presley because  every single class she would leave completely covered in paint. I am also proud to say that I did not help Presley with her creations. They are all her own. Many times I wanted to get her to fill in a part of the paper that had a little to much white, but I restrained myself.
Presley also really enjoyed music time at the end of class. Her favorite part was getting to pick her instrument out of the big blue bucket. Generally, she would spend the first part of class trying to get into the bucket when she wasn't supposed to. This also made her teacher laugh ;).

Each week, we studied a new artist and then created a piece of art based on that artist. Here are Presley's creations from the class:

Week 1:
Paul Cezanne
"I will astonish Paris with an apple".

Apples and Oranges (1899)

Week 2 and 3:
Sadly, we missed because of Traffic and then our trip to Mexico

Week 4:
Claude Monet 
"My garden is the most beautiful masterpiece".
Bridge Over a Pond of Lillies (1899)

 Michelangelo
"Every block of stone has a statue inside it, and it is the task of the sculpture to discover it".


Week 5:
Pablo Picasso
" You know, music, art-these are not just little decorations to make life prettier .They are very deep necessities which people can not live without".
The Old Guitarist (1903)

Week 6:
Jackson Pollack
"On the floor I am more at ease. I feel nearer, more part of the painting".
Number 1 (Lavendar Mist) (1950)

Week 7:
Georges Pierre Seurat
"Some say they see only poetry in my painting; I see only science".

La Port de Gravelines (1890)

The kids were also given a canvas to work on throughout the weeks. I love Presley's and can't wait to hang it!

4 comments:

Rene' said...

That's so great this class was available and you were able to do it! I can't wait for Jack to create some paintings for me to display. I love P's canvas. Sounds like a wonderful experience for both of you!

aleelavine said...

That sounds like a WONDERFUL class!!!! I want to find something like this around our house. What beautiful works of art. Go P! :)

Cassie said...

Very cool!! That class sounds right up our alley!

Brittani said...

I love the canvas!