Tuesday, August 4, 2009

What's in a name...

We would like to officially announce the name of our soon-to-be daughter:

Miss Presley Elizabeth Souders

This name thing was quite a challenge, but I LOVE what we finally agreed on. I have always had baby girl names that I knew would one day belong to my future daughter. That is, until I married Brandon...
We never discussed girl names until I found out I was pregnant, and I just naturally assumed that Brandon would love what I had. Ha! I don't think we could have more opposite taste in girl names if we tried. We have always instantly agreed on boy names, so this was a shock. We would randomly throw names out in passing, just to have each and everyone be rejected. Then one day, I broke down and bought a baby name book. As I was flipping through the celebrity baby name section, I stumbled across Presley. When I saw it, I instantly loved it. However, I knew that Brandon wouldn't go for it, so I just kept it to myself. After a few weeks, I found myself falling in love with it. This is a very bad thing because once I get my heart set on something, I generally find a way to make it happen. I really didn't want to have to sneak the name on the birth certificate. So, as Brandon passed through the living room on his way out the back door, I casually suggested the name Presley. I believe his response was, "not bad". "Not bad"...this was a good sign!!! Usually, it was something like "that's horrible" or "I hate it.. a lot". I think the name must of been floating around in his head because a week later he sat down and said he liked it. Well, that was a done deal in my book.
So there you have it. That's the story of how we picked our name. We realize it isn't an amazing story, but we learned a lot during the naming process. I had to give up a lot of my names, and Brandon had to have a lot of his rejected. This was a true compromise, and in the end we came up with something together. If you ask me, I think it's a pretty perfect name.

2 comments:

Brittani said...

Yeah for Elizabeth!

Ashlie said...

Thanks! It was what we came up with originally.