Friday, October 9, 2009

Ashlie Bear


I couldn't think of a better time to tell the story of Ashlie Bear than today because it would have been my sweet Mama Jody's birthday. I gave my grandmother this bear as a Christmas present. Well, technically, I gave her a gift card to Build-a-bear, and this was the bear that we came home with. As soon as we had built the bear, she turned to me and said that she wanted to name it after me. From there on out, Ashlie bear sat in her rocker in their living room. Every Christmas I would get Mama Jody a new outfit for her to wear. This little bear eventually had it's very own wardrobe, and we would change her outfit for every season. We had so much fun together, buying new outfits and dressing her up.When Mama Jody passed away, we decided to put her in her little angel outfit. My Papa kept Ashlie Bear in that same outfit for the past four years. When he passed away, my Mom brought the bear to her house, and gave it a new home in my room.
When I found out I was pregnant, I wanted a special little teddy bear to measure the baby next to every month. At first, Brandon and I were going to go build one of our own. However, I thought there could never be a more special bear then Ashlie Bear. I asked Mom if I could take it. Of course, she said it was okay and thought it was a great idea. Now Ashlie Bear sits at my house in her own little rocker, still wearing her same angel outfit, waiting on Baby Presley.

Since today is Mama Jody's birthday, I would just like to tell a little bit about her.First, there is no one like Mama Jody. She was way more than a grandmother to me. She was a best friend too. She would be one of the first people I would call when I had news, or if I had nothing to tell at all. She also had this way about her that made you feel like you were the most special person in the world. Everything she did was beautiful and so was she. Even the way she made a ham and cheese sandwich was special. I still miss her all the time, but my heart aches for her the most during the Holidays. We used to have Thanksgiving and Christmas at her house, and she always made it magical. I know "magical" is a weird word to use, but it's the best way to explain it. If you know her, you know exactly what I mean. I could honestly go on forever, so I'll spare you. I do know that Mama Jody would have loved that I'm writing this all about her for everyone to see. She always did enjoy the spot light. I know she is with Papa in heaven watching over us, and I have no doubt she is the brightest red headed angel there.

0 comments: