Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Mother's Day Out Blues

Today was a sad day.


I got up and got Presley ready for this school this morning, and she was acting like her normal self. Then I told her to go give daddy a kiss bye because we needed to go to school. She looked up at me with the most pitiful face and said, "no go school ever". Ugh! I was so close to keeping her home with me, but decided against it. We got in the car, drove to school, and walked to her class with out a single complaint. Until I turned around from putting her back pack up, and saw my poor baby crying. Not just any cry. She was completely silent with huge tears running down her cheeks, and her sweet little lip curled down farther than I've ever seen it. It almost brought me to tears right then and there. 

I so badly wanted to just take her home, but I also didn't want her to think that anytime she cried she could stay home. I told her that I loved her, wiped her tears and handed her over to her teacher. I felt like a terrible mother. I told them to make sure they called me if she was still upset after ten minutes. Thankfully, I never got a phone call, but I worried about her all day. Of course, when I went to pick her up she was doing front rolls and running around in circles with her school friends. It was such a relief to see. 

I guess we are having a little bit of separation anxiety. Hopefully, this is just a phase because it sure is heartbreaking to witness. Fingers crossed Thursday will be better. However, her school is doing pictures with Santa, and we all know how much she loves Santa. 
Just in case anyone needed a reminder
That might really send her over the edge...

4 comments:

Emily said...

Oh no! That really is the worst. I always tell them to call me if he doesn't calm down within 10 minutes too. And I still worry, even if no one calls. :-)

Hopefully this will be a short phase for them - and us. I love knowing how much he loves me, but it is so heartbreaking to see and hear.

You did the right thing, mama!

aleelavine said...

That almost brought me to tears, girl!!!! It breaks my heart every morning when I can't stay home with B. And when he says he wants to stay home with Momma instead of going to "Kari's house" [aka daycare], it does make me mistified. POOR PRESLEY!!!! I do believe you did the correct thing, though. It's tough to be a strong Momma!

Rene' said...

Awww how heartbreaking!! I don't really have a choice but to be strong and leave Jack, but something like this might wear me down. Jack is usually fine (but he has been going since he was 12 weeks old) but recently he was upset and I stayed for about 5 minutes until he found a toy and settled down. Every morning I tell Jack we're going to Zika's house and, again recently, he'll sometimes say, "No Zika's house" and sound so upset at the idea of going. I feel sooooo bad! He's fine as soon as he gets there and sees his friends and toys, but I still hate it! It's definitely hard, but it's also really good for P to get this experience. You're a good mama! :)

B said...

Awwww, poor mama (and Miss P!) That's so hard! It definitely is good though that she's getting that experience. We are talking about putting Ava in a MDO program next year for 2 or 3 days a week, and I'm dreading that part!