Thursday, July 26, 2012

From 1 to 2: The Adjustment for Presley


I keep meaning to write about how life has been adjusting from 1 to 2, but I very rarely get a chance to sit down these days. So here goes...
First, I will start with Presley. Oh my sweet little Presley, how her world has been rocked. Adjusting has been hard on her which has made it very hard on me. There are times when I have felt so guilty for having Harper. 
She has gone through many phases in the two months that Harper has been here. At first, she wanted to be all over the baby. She would physically shake, she wanted to get her hands on Harper so bad. Sometimes she would be so sweet, but a lot of the time she would hit, scratch, squeeze, pinch, bite etc. At one point, I thought there was a possibility that Presley might actually kill her (thankfully were beyond that). Because I was feeling like a bad horrible Mom for ruining her little toddler life, I would let her get away with a lot and she took full advantage. Consistency is key.

Then after a while, Presley decided she didn't want anything to do with. She became glued to Daddy. She wanted him to take her to bed, give her baths, make her dinner, and I was to do none of it. 
One day while Presley was in the bathtub we had a little conversation that went like this:
Presley:"Mommy, your my Mommy".
Me:"Yes, I'm your Mommy".
Presley: "and your  baby Harper's Mommy, too".
Me: "Yes, I am".
Presley: "Who's Harper's Daddy?"
I immediately called Brandon on the phone and our convo went like this:
Me: "Presley doesn't know your Harper's Daddy, and that's why she still likes you!!!"
Brandon: "Shhh! Don't ever tell her the truth"!
Eventually, she forgave me and welcomed me back into her world. 

The next phase she went through was acting out. Nothing was directly related to Harper, but it was always the root of the problem. She would have horrible fits, stopped napping, fought us at bedtime and the list goes on. Brandon and I were in over our heads!

Thankfully, things have improved a lot recently. Presley loves Harper, and is sweet to her for the most part. Occasionally, she has to squeeze a pinch or a scratch in. She loves to rock her and cover her up with blankets. We have had to have a few talks about not stuffing the blankets in Harper's mouth and feeding her waffles, but I guess that's just par for the course. Right???

We are still navigating life with two little ones. As hard as it has been, I wouldn't change any of it. I love our little family of four, even if I do loose my mind from time to time.


2 comments:

Emily said...

Oh friend, I'm sorry to hear this - mostly because I'll be facing it in a few months! Asher is my #1 fan right now and I know that the new baby will seriously change that for both of us. I already feel guilty over the ways that baby #2 will rock his world, but I know in the long run having a sibling will be SO good for him. It sounds like you're doing all that you can. P will completely adjust soon, I'm sure!

B said...

I am also terrified of this, though I know it's a totally normal and temporary thing! Hang in there - sounds like you're moving right through it :)